Faculty: Application Information
If you have never had the privilege of mentoring a veterinary student in sponsored research, it’s a fantastic experience. This is a great way to introduce extremely motivated students to your area of work.
The Florida Veterinary Scholars Program provides an opportunity for veterinary students to engage in hypothesis-driven research over a 10-12 week period. For UF students, this happens between the 1st and 2nd years. We do accept applications from students at other schools, who may participate after either the 1st or 2nd years.
Partial funding is provided through Merial, with the majority from CVM funds and your faculty support. Due to limited funding, priority is given to mentors who can cover half of the student’s summer stipend ($2500; full stipend is $5000). The program does not provide research support – you must have current funding for the proposed project.
There is a matching process for student/faculty applications for this program. We do this in an effort to provide scholarships to the most worthy students and get student/mentor teams matched as equitably as possible. You must follow these same steps for consideration of funding this year:
- Email your department board member (Drs. Chris Sanchez, Linda Hayward, Stan Kim, Roy Curtiss) by 12/2/16 to let them know your interest. Provide three or four keywords that describe your research. You will then be listed as a potential faculty mentor on the 2017 Florida Veterinary Scholars Program website.
- Meet with prospective students to discuss the summer project you have in mind.
- Submit an application by January 13, 2017* (SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS are found at the bottom of this form). This includes:
- NIH-format biosketch
- List of previous student research mentees and the status of their projects (completed, published, etc.)
- One page summary of proposed student research work. This should mirror the aims page of a grant and CLEARLY indicate the student’s role. The goal of this program is to provide research experience that can be completed over the course of the program (10-12 weeks) or at least mostly completed during that time.
- Whether or not you are able to provide matching funding ($2500).
- Rank prospective summer research students by 2/3/17
*Please note the faculty application deadline has passed.
More information is available on our FAQ page.