Department of Physiological Sciences
Office Location: CEHT
- MSc – Ecology & Evolution – University of the Republic, Uruguay
- BSc – Biology – University of the Republic, Uruguay
Honors & Awards
- Fulbright Scholarship (2016-2018)
- ForEverglades Scholarship (2018)
- UF, Outstanding International Student Award (2017)
- National Agency of Research and Innovation, Uruguay, Scholarship for Master Degree (2014)
- Duke University Oak Foundation, Global Fellowship (2013)
- National Agency of Research and Innovation, Uruguay, Undergraduate Scholarship for Research (2011)
I am doing my Ph.D. in the Department of Physiological Science and in the Aquatic Animal Health Program as a Fulbright Scholar. I received my master’s degree in Ecology and Evolution in my home country (Uruguay). My research has always been related to anthropogenic activities and wildlife, particularly marine mammals. I also participated in a successful interdisciplinary project aimed at understanding problems of artisanal fishers in Uruguay. Among the problems addressed in this participatory project was the interaction of fishermen with sea lions. Together we developed a plan to change the way fishing gear was used to diminish the interaction with these marine mammals. I have also worked with trace elements in sea lions and its trophic transfer. Now at UF, I am making my own path in research in toxicology with the guidance of experienced and innovative advisors, working with novel techniques such as non-invasive biomarkers for contaminant exposure. I am working on molecular techniques to assess the consequences of wildlife exposure (fish and manatees) to contaminants.
- ARTECONA, F., MAITE DE MARÍA, BERGAMINO, L. and STEREN, D. A historical perspective of niche differentiation between two top predators in the Uruguayan coastal area. Wildlife Research. ISSN: 1035-3712
- SZTEREN, D., AURIOLES-GAMBOA, D., LABRADA-MARTAGÓN, V., HERNÁNDEZ-CAMACHO, C. J. and MAITE DE MARÍA. Historical age-class diet changes in South American fur seals and sea lions in Uruguay. Marine Biology, (2018) 165: 59. 2018.ISSN: 0025-3162. doi.org/10.1007/s00227-018-3315-1
- D. SZTEREN and MAITE DE MARÍA Book chapter:Marine mammal Conservation in Latin America: threats, solutions and challenges. In: Ciencias Marino Costeras en el Umbral del Siglo XXI: Desafíos en Latinoamérica y el Caribe. In Press.
- MAITE DE MARÍA; BARBOZA, F; SZTEREN D. Predation of South American sea lion (Otaria flavescens) on artisanal fisheries in Rio de la Plata estuary. Fisheries Research, 149: 69-73, 2014. ISSN: 01657836 ; DOI:10.1016/j.fishres.2013.09.006
- MAITE DE MARÍA; GOLLUCCI, M.; SZTEREN D. First record of A. australis interaction with artisanal fisheries in Uruguay). Boletín Sociedad Zoológica Uruguay, v.: 21 1-2, p.: 50 – 58, 2012. ISSN: 05050505
I am the current president of the Veterinary Graduate Student Association (VGSA), at UF. VGSA fosters an environment that encourages excellence in graduate research, scientific ethics, and exchange of ideas among graduate students.